As I was reading every one's blogs and commenting that today is the first time I had done so, I decided to write a little of my anticipations and disappointment. I married a man that if fully into the government scene and feels a civic duty to be a part of electing it's leaders. I on the other hand had learned of the electoral college and decided it was a waste of time when I knew my state would vote the way I would have in the first place. As it is also a big deal in the CPA office I work in, I became intrigued and did my own research on the presidential nominees. I asked Matt his opinion (short and to the point), and then my co-workers opinion (drawn out addressing both sides). Both people voted for a different candidate, yet I wanted to make sure I was choosing the one that best fit my life-style and standards. I have also followed the proposition 8 in CA because I know that it will one day take its course through the nation (plus Matt would love to move back to CA).
I made a decision...I was going to vote. I sent in my application thinking they would send me something back, big fat nope! I then decided which candidate I wanted, went to an early voting place and they weren't even open. Shesh! Why is this difficult? So I waited in anticipation for my turn at the polls and went before work this morning hoping that there would only be a short line. I assume it was because of the snow, but I went in, signed a paper, showed my I.D, stuck my little plastic card into the machine, touched the screen a few times, took out my card, got a sticker that says that I voted, and left. A whole 8 minutes! Disappointed? YUP!
I was expecting to wait in a line and be annoyed that it was taking so long. I expected a small rally of people for and against nominees. Never having done it before I expected what you see on T.V. Apparently it is not the same.
Well, I hope that whomever wins the election is willing and able to lead our country into the future.
July
11 years ago
3 comments:
This was great! Love your perspective! Sorry it wasn't as glamorous as you imagined, but good job doing it anyway!
And hooray for Prop 8 passing!
Congrats on voting even if it wasn't what you thought. :) I haven't voted for a few years because of all our moving around, but was glad I could do it this year. We had a similar prop in AZ like CA's and it passed also! :)
Sorry it wasn't all you thought, but good job voting, anyway :)
Post a Comment